Maintained by DHG © 2021
Chillenden Mill is a white painted post mill with an open trestle, dating back to 1868. Based on a Dutch design the windmill is a well-known local landmark with an interesting history. One of only 3 similar types in the country it replaced an earlier post mill on the same site. The mill ceased regular work in 1949 and was preserved in the 1950s and, although restored many times since, it collapsed in a gale in November 2003. Happily it is now fully restored to its former glory.
Chillenden Mill is owned and maintained by Kent County Council, but it is run and operated by the Friends of Chillenden Mill, a local group of volunteers who open it at weekends and show people round. If you would like to become a Friend and volunteer to help us run it, please contact the Mill Manager Paul Allen .
For visits at other times or for more information, please contact
the Mill Manager, Paul Allen.
The mill is still closed to the public
The repaired sweeps were delivered back to the mill on Wednesday 21 October 2020 and were erected the next day. The mill was even made to turn in the gentle breeze and the event was widely reported on social media! We hope to be able to run the mill the way from time to time. The angle of the brake shaft has been adjusted so the sweeps tilt further back than they did before. Some of the shutters have been recovered with canvas. Work still has to be completed on the cleaning and repainting of the mill cladding but unfortunately this has stopped throughout 2021. This means the mill is still a work site and is fully closed to to the public. Regrettably we do not now expect the mill to be open to the public until next year 2022.